We infer that you consent to our collection, use and disclosure of your personal information:
- to determine if we can represent you,
- to provide professional services to you,
- to represent you before the Courts, tribunals, government agencies and with third parties as may be required in carrying out our retainer, and
- for legal or practice updates and direct marketing our services to you.
Disclosure Of Personal Information
Under certain circumstances, the firms may also disclose your personal information without further consent:
- to any errors and omissions insurers of the firms,
- when we are required or authorized by law to do so, for example if a Court issues a subpoena,
- where it is necessary to establish or collect fees;
- if we engage expert witnesses or expert assistance on your behalf,
- if we retain other law firms or patent and trade-mark agents in other jurisdictions on your behalf,
- if the information is already publicly known.
Since we use your personal information to provide services to you, it is important that the information be accurate and up to date. If during the course of the retainer any of your information changes, please inform us so that we can make any necessary changes.
The firms take all reasonable precautions to ensure that your personal information is kept safe from loss, unauthorized access, modification or disclosure. Among the steps taken to protect your information are:
- premisese security,
- applying technological safeguards like security software and firewalls to prevent hacking and unauthorized computer access,
- that third parties who provide administrative services be bound by this policy.
Credit bureaus make credit and acceptance decisions about clients, prevent fraud, check the identity of new clients and prevent money laundering. We may on occasion, request information about you from the files of consumer reporting agencies.
If you have any questions, or wish to access your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Sim & McBurney
Sim Ashton & Mckay LLP
330 University Avenue, 6th Floor
Toronto, Ontario, Canada