The Firms of Sim & McBurney and Sim Ashton & McKay LLP (“SIM IP Practice”) provide a full range of services in intellectual property and commercial litigation. We are located in the heart of downtown Toronto, convenient to the Courts, local patent and trademark filing offices, and the offices of many of Canada’s largest business enterprises.
We are currently searching for a Litigation Assistant (Intellectual Property/Commercial litigation) to join our Firm and primarily support a Partner and Associate in our Law Practice Group. The role will be responsible for a wide variety of legal and administrative duties.
- Prepare basic formatted legal documents based on written instruction, verbal direction, and precedents.
- Draft correspondence for approval by the Professionals.
- Proofread and edit all documentation for grammar, spelling, and content accuracy.
- Interact with clients for scheduling and other administrative issues.
- Organize client files and maintain up-to-date file system, including electronic documents.
- Assist with general practice management, including maintaining due dates, scheduling meetings and booking court dates, as well as travel arrangements.
- Document and maintain records of the Firm’s involvement with conferences, industry events, and other activities.
- Prepare, assemble and make necessary arrangements for service and filing of various court documents.
- Provide back-up coverage to the group during absences, and assist with overflow work, when required.
- 3-5 years of work experience in a litigation assistant role.
- Strong knowledge of MS Suite (Outlook and Word primarily).
- Good understanding of legal reference materials, procedures, and legal filing systems.
- Excellent writing skills, including proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation for complex documentation.
- Superior time management skills, multitasking skills, and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is critical.
- Able to maintain filing systems and basic databases.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proficiency with a due-date management system (Pattsy) and accounting software (Aderant) would be an asset.
- Prior working experience with litigation support software (Time Matters, Summation, Condordance and Casemap) would be an asset.
If you’re interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Litigation Assistant” in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.