The Firms of Sim & McBurney and Sim Ashton & McKay LLP (“SIM IP Practice”) provide a full range of services in intellectual property and commercial litigation. We are located in the heart of downtown Toronto, convenient to the Courts, local patent and trademark filing offices, and the offices of many of Canada’s largest business enterprises.
We are currently searching for a Legal Assistant to join our Firm and primarily support a Partner and Associate whose practices focus on Trade-mark prosecution and Commercial litigation. The role will be responsible for a wide variety of legal and administrative duties.
- Prepare basic formatted legal documents based on written instruction, verbal direction, and precedents.
- Draft correspondence for approval by the Professional(s).
- Maintain electronic client files and correspondence to ensure that all client files are consistently up-to-date.
- Assist with general practice management, including maintaining due dates, scheduling meetings and booking court dates.
- Handle accounting requirements: open/close files, time docketing, and reviewing pre-bills as directed by the Professional(s).
- Proofread and edit legal documents and correspondence for grammar, spelling, and content accuracy.
- Interact with clients for scheduling and other administrative issues.
- Prepare, assemble and make necessary arrangements for service and filing of various court documents.
- Provide back-up coverage to the group during absences, and assist with overflow work, when required.
- Provide back-up support for Trade-mark searches.
- Legal Assistant certificate/diploma or Law Clerk diploma.
- Strong knowledge of MS Suite (Outlook and Word primarily).
- Good understanding of legal reference materials, procedures, and legal filing systems.
- Excellent writing skills, including proper spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
- Superior time management skills and the ability to prioritize tasks with minimal supervision.
- Professional, responsive, and positive work attitude is critical.
- Able to maintain electronic filing systems and basic databases.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Proficiency with a due-date management system (Pattsy) and accounting software (Aderant) would be an asset.
- Prior working experience with litigation support software (Time Matters, Summation, Concordance and Casemap) would be an asset.
- Prior working experience in intellectual property would be an asset.
If you are interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “Legal Assistant” in the subject line of your email.
Sim IP Practice welcomes applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations will be made available upon request for candidates taking part in the selection process.
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.