The firms of SIM & McBURNEY and SIM, LOWMAN, ASHTON & McKAY LLP (“SIM. IP Practice”) were founded in 1970 to provide a full range of services in intellectual property and commercial litigation in Canada. We are located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Canada’s largest city, convenient to the Courts, local patent & trade-mark filing offices, and the offices of many of Canada’s largest business enterprises.
Patent Filing Clerk
We are currently searching for a Patent Filing Clerk to join our firm. Reporting to the Patent Practice Group Leader, the qualified applicant will provide assistance to the professionals and patent assistants of the firm with the preparation and filing of patent applications.
- Preparing and filing patent applications in Canada, U.S. and WIPO, including acknowledging client correspondence, reviewing correspondence, communicating with clients on outstanding documents, and preparing documents for filing.
- Reporting and billing of patent filings in a timely manner.
- Docketing due dates in PATTSY and removing due dates as required.
- Preparing cost estimates related to filings and reporting to clients.
- Other administrative responsibilities as assigned by the Patent Practice Group Leader.
- 5-7 years of prior working experience in patent firm environments.
- Diploma/degree in Legal Administration, Administration, or equivalent experience.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively within a team environment.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Strong working knowledge of PATTSY and Aderant.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (Word, Outlook, Excel).
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Flexible, dependable and open to change.
If you have a keen eye for detail, take great pride in the quality of your work, and are looking to take on new challenges, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Patent Agent Trainees / Patent Agents
We are currently looking for Patent Agent Trainees and qualified Patent Agents with specialization in life sciences or electrical/computer technologies. Candidates specializing in the life sciences should have a PhD in biotechnology, biochemistry, molecular biology, pharmaceutical sciences, or another field within the advanced life sciences. Candidates in the physics or electrical/computer technologies should have an advanced degree or a P.Eng qualification. Patent experience would be advantageous.
To apply, please send your resume in confidence to Marija Djukic at firstname.lastname@example.org.