The firms of SIM & McBURNEY and SIM, LOWMAN, ASHTON & McKAY LLP (“SIM. IP Practice”) were founded in 1970 to provide a full range of services in intellectual property and commercial litigation in Canada. We are located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Canada’s largest city, convenient to the Courts, local patent & trade-mark filing offices, and the offices of many of Canada’s largest business enterprises.
We are currently searching for a Patent Assistant to join our firm and support our Patent Practice Group.
Our ideal candidate is driven, adaptable, hard-working, and will succeed in a fast-paced environment. If you’re looking to develop your skills, take on new challenges, and contribute to the growth of the firm, this is the role for you.
- Drafting and preparing correspondences for professionals’ approval/signature using precedents.
- Monitoring due dates, and proactively reminding professionals on due dates and all matters requiring the professionals’ attention.
- Routing or answering correspondences not requiring professionals’ attention, and following up if required.
- Coordinating the filing of domestic patent applications and directing Associates regarding the filing of foreign applications.
- Instructing foreign Associates to pay renewal fees.
- Time docketing, reviewing pre-bills and billing as directed by the professional.
- Handling the opening and closing of files with minimal supervision.
- Transcribing, typing, and other administrative duties as assigned by the professional.
- Working closely with other Patent Assistants and professionals in a team-based environment.
- 3-5 years of experience working with patents.
- Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate or equivalent experience.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while paying attention to details.
- Reliable, punctual and proactive.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills, strong initiative and ability to work independently as well as in a team oriented environment.
- Solid understanding of MS Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), PATTSY and Aderant.
If you have a keen eye for detail, take great pride in the quality of your work, and are looking to take on new challenges, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.