The firms of SIM & McBURNEY and SIM, LOWMAN, ASHTON & McKAY LLP (“SIM. IP Practice”) were founded in 1970 to provide a full range of services in intellectual property and commercial litigation in Canada. We are located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Canada’s largest city, convenient to the Courts, local patent & trade-mark filing offices, and the offices of many of Canada’s largest business enterprises.
We are currently searching for a Patent Assistant to join our firm and support our Patent Practice Group.
Our ideal candidate is driven, adaptable, hard-working, and will succeed in a fast-paced environment. If you’re looking to develop your skills, take on new challenges, and contribute to the growth of the firm, this is the role for you.
- Drafting and preparing correspondences for professionals’ approval/signature using precedents.
- Monitoring due dates, and proactively reminding professionals on due dates and all matters requiring the professionals’ attention.
- Routing or answering correspondences not requiring professionals’ attention, and following up if required.
- Coordinating the filing of domestic patent applications and directing Associates regarding the filing of foreign applications.
- Instructing foreign Associates to pay renewal fees.
- Time docketing, reviewing pre-bills and billing as directed by the professional.
- Handling the opening and closing of files with minimal supervision.
- Transcribing, typing, and other administrative duties as assigned by the professional.
- Working closely with other Patent Assistants and professionals in a team-based environment.
- 3-5 years of experience working with patents.
- Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate or equivalent experience.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while paying attention to details.
- Reliable, punctual and proactive.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills, strong initiative and ability to work independently as well as in a team oriented environment.
- Solid understanding of MS Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), PATTSY and Aderant.
IP Fees and Docketing Clerk
We are currently searching for an IP Fees and Docketing Clerk to join our firm. Working within the Fees team, the qualified candidate will be responsible for duties regarding Canadian and U.S. patent fees.
- Ensuring all intellectual property fees are paid on time, including preparing documents for payment of maintenance fees, examination fees, final fees/excess printing fees and reinstatement fees. This also includes electronic fee payments.
- Preparing routine reporting letters and other correspondence to clients.
- Communicating with clients by email or by phone on a daily basis regarding Canadian and U.S. maintenance fees and examination fees.
- Monitoring CIPO website daily to verify that issued cases have been paid.
- Monitoring due dates and proactively sending reminders to clients as required.
- Updating PATTSY and other databases with client information, and ensuring all records are accurate by conducting regular audits.
- Generating due date reports for other members of the Fees team and for assistants.
- Providing clients with cost estimates.
- Reviewing pre-bills and supervising the issuance and delivery of bills.
- Providing back-up support to the IP Docketing team when primary team members are absent or require assistance with overflow work.
- Other administrative duties as assigned by the Team Lead.
- Experience working with PATTSY and Aderant.
- Knowledge of actions and due dates for Canadian and foreign patent and trademark practices.
- Excellent attention to detail and technical skills.
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written.
- Ability to manage time and consistently meet deadlines in a high demand environment.
- Post-secondary education would be an asset.
If you have a keen eye for detail, take great pride in the quality of your work, and are looking to take on new challenges, please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.