The firms of SIM & McBURNEY and SIM ASHTON & McKAY LLP (“SIM. IP Practice”) were founded in 1970 to provide a full range of services in intellectual property and commercial litigation in Canada. We are located in the heart of downtown Toronto, Canada’s largest city, convenient to the Courts, local patent & trade-mark filing offices, and the offices of many of Canada’s largest business enterprises.
We are currently searching for a Patent Assistant to join our firm and support a senior patent agent on a full-time, contract basis until December 30, 2016. The position may have an opportunity for a 6 month extension.
Our ideal candidate is adaptable, hard-working, and will succeed in a fast-paced environment. If you’re looking to develop your skills, take on new challenges, and contribute to the growth of the firm, this is the role for you.
- Transcribing hand-written notes and dictation, and other administrative duties as assigned by the professional.
- Drafting and preparing correspondence for the professional’s approval using precedents.
- Monitoring due dates, and proactively reminding the professional on due dates and all matters requiring the professional’s attention.
- Routing or answering correspondence not requiring professional’s attention, and following up if required.
- Coordinating the filing of domestic patent applications and directing Associates regarding the filing of foreign applications.
- Instructing foreign Associates to pay renewal fees.
- Time docketing, reviewing pre-bills and billing as directed by the professional.
- Handling the opening and closing of files with minimal supervision, as well as overall file maintenance both in paper and electronic formats.
- Working closely with other patent assistants and professionals in a team-based environment to provide coverage during group absences.
- 3-5 years of experience working with patents in a patent or law firm.
- Prior experience transcribing hand-written material and dictation.
- Legal Assistant Diploma/Certificate or equivalent experience.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities while paying attention to details.
- Reliable, punctual and proactive.
- Excellent time management skills and the ability to work well under pressure.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Excellent interpersonal and client service skills, strong initiative and ability to work independently as well as in a team oriented environment.
- Solid understanding of MS Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Prior working experience with PATTSY and Aderant would be an asset.
If you’re interested in this opportunity, please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Please include “Patent Assistant” in the subject line of your email.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.